Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Call To Serve



“Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.” 
Martin Luther King Jr.

Service

My value derives from my ability to serve others; coaches, athletes, administrators, students, and other human beings I encounter. The people who have helped shape me from a young boy into a young man served me and deserve the respect and appreciation. The best way I have discovered is to do this is to become the best version of myself through daily efforts to improve. Currently, I am reading a book a week and by my birthday (April 30th) I will have 15 books read. Challenging myself allows me to keep pushing the envelope. Otherwise, boredom creeps in and it’s ugly cousin depression takes over which has been a huge detriment in my life. Back to the people that served me and currently serve me.
These people from parents, mentors, friends, peers, coaches, and athletes deserve the very best from me. They have helped mold me and the talents, skills, abilities, and resources add up to something special only I can uniquely deliver. The light that shines out of me comes from these people that serve me. If I do not shine my light, that is the biggest disservice to these people and myself as well.
As I continue my journey to becoming better each day through challenges, the “end goal” is to be able to help people from the point in life they are at. So, let’s envision I am a “big wig” and have lots of influence and someone is in great need. This is the type of help I want to put into place. When someone has nothing else, nobody else, that is my cue to step in and help. From big challenges in life to small, my value resides in my ability to serve others.
Shine your light and keep hustling!

No comments:

Post a Comment