Saturday, August 2, 2014

Embracing Obstacles, Failures, and Mistakes


"I take the title “coach” very seriously. Being called a coach carries a tremendous amount of responsibility that comes with the title. So many people are looking for guidance, motivation and someone to believe in them at a time when they believe in themselves the least. The world needs more great coaches."


Martin Rooney




Embracing Challenges, Perseverance, and Inspiration 


"Yea I love your enthusiasm about being a better coach. I feel like I became a much better athlete last year because of you and I can't wait to see what the future has in store.

"I have qualities that can help people grow so I want to use that to better people."

Above is an athlete who I’ve had the pleasure of knowing and coaching for the past year. He is one of the most diligent athletes I have ever coached. His attention to detail, willingness to learn, and  effort are what a coach hopes to see in all his athletes. He writes his goals down, reads them every day, and goes towards them every day. If I say something of value, he practices it immediately. 

During spring workouts, he had just hit 345lbs x 10 on the squat. His best squat up to that point was 385 for 1 rep! He was definitely stronger and was just coming into his own. He was so excited to hit the “4 plates” milestone, otherwise known as 405. For an athlete weighing only 160 lbs, it is very impressive. I was excited for him.

Then he had a contact knee injury that put him on the sideline for the foreseeable future. He is recovering now and ahead of schedule, which doesn’t surprise me. 

Things like this happen everyday to great people. And people ask why? It’s almost natural. But the approach I take and encourage you to use is this:

This is the obstacle in my way of my goals.
Do I really want the goal I set out for?
Does this obstacle have more power than my diligence and effort each day? 


Think this:


This is merely on of the obstacles in my to serve as a stepping stone to my goals. It is here to ask and see if I REALLY DO want my goals. And if I choose to keep my head up in failure and head down in success, I will be successful in overcoming this obstacle. And I will be grateful for it. Because without it, I would not have the opportunity to grow. And I pray for more obstacles, failures, and mistakes so that I can continue to grow. It sounds counterintuitive. But realize no greatness and mastery has ever been achieved without obstacles, failures, and mistakes. Welcome them. Accept them. And break through them.

This athlete inspires me. 


"Yea I love your enthusiasm about being a better coach. I feel like I became a much better athlete last year because of you and I can't wait to see what the future has in store.

"I have qualities that can help people grow so I want to use that to better people."

Martin Rooney says you will be a great coach once you put more stock into your athletes than you do in your own training. Recently, my excitement has soared to a peak it has never been at. And as a challenge, I have altered my training to only 2 days per week. This gives me more energy to give to my athletes both in the weight room and out. And I am excited to see what this type of training does to my overall well being. 


Be the hero in your own story!

No comments:

Post a Comment