Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Resistance & The Only Way To Attack It





You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.

~Jerry West

Resistance

Steven Pressfield's, The War of Art beautifully illustrates the picture resistance has in our lives on a daily basis.  Resistance is that thing inside pulling you toward things OTHER than what you need/want to do.  

If you started a new workout routine, began writing a book or have begun to play the guitar---Resistance is present.  

New Beginnings

Beginning a new venture---whatever it is---spawns Resistance out of its short slumber in hopes to derail us.  It puls out all the stops.

Facebook

TV

Youtube

Twitter

ESPN

Articles

You name it, Resistance is the reason.  It's what causes us to procrastinate until the last possible moment.  

It's what causes unneeded stress due to putting things off.  

But we can do something.  We can fight back against this never-ending foe.

Action & Doing The Work

Another one of Steven Pressfield's books, Do The Work pains us the picture necessary to truly understand the root of our problems with following through and taking what is rightfully ours.  

Take Action + Do The Work = Suppressing Resistance


That's the formula.  Notice it says, "Suppress"

Because Resistance never dies---it's never defeated---it just loses it's hold on you

It loses it's power every time we Take Action and Do The Work.  

A Short Story From Today

My Wednesday's of late have been less and less busy.  Usually I get a lot done on these days with homework, programming for athletes, and getting organized.

As Noon rolled around, it was time for me to workout.  Right on time, Resistance reared its ugly head. I knew it was there---and sure, it affected me for 5-10 minutes.  

I changed the music.
My thoughts wandered.
I read a few articles.

The only thing standing between me and Resistance was a 55 pound dumbbell and 400 swings.  I had done this before---7 times in the past week, so it wasn't an impossible task.  But, the intense motivation was not there today.  

Who cares?  All I needed to do was beginning swinging the dumbbell and Resistance would slowly dissipate.  And that's what happened.  I kicked Resistance's ass by swinging the dumbbell that lay in front of me.  Even when I finished, and began my daily maintenance push-ups---Resistance crept in AGAIN.  I beat it once and I can beat it again.  I got to 20,  Was I tired?  A little.  But 10 more push-ups would be cake compared to what I just did.  And even as I got to 20 everything in me said stop.  

And that was my cue to keep going. 

Anytime my mind says stop the rebel in me says:

DON'T TREAD ON ME


And Resistance was defeated, albeit for a short time.  It will be back.

But the hour when it was flexing its muscles didn't affect me so now I have the power.  


Do The Thing And You Will Have The Power

~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Yeha Noha,



Shine Your Light

No comments:

Post a Comment